Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Sherborne Town vs Verwood Town 31-Oct-2007


When the referee pointed to the spot with only two minutes gone we had a feeling it wasn't to be our night. The penalty zipped into the net and we lined up to start again

Beverley was stung into retaliation and a rasping effort from all of 30 yards rattled the post. The ball flew out to Dyer who tried a cross shot but the keeper comfortably cleared the danger.

It was a fast game but the passing wasn't too good. Sherborne were slightly better than us and their utilisation of a knock back then long ball usually found one of their players in the channel. Our long balls were more hopeful than directed. Why we persisted with this type of play was a mystery. If someone would have put their foot on the ball and played on the deck it would have paid dividends.

We did have flashes and Goodall's breach of Sherborne's defence looked almost certainly a goal but the keeper did extremely well to divert the shot.

During this spell, Arnold and Elysee both went close with Elysee's header being palmed on to the post and out.

Sherborne were dangerous on the break but Lynch Yerby Giles and Homer were equal to the task. Willis was again in excellent form so the game continued for stretches of no midfield play but with incidents in both boxes.

Two minutes to go and Arnold worked an opening on the right, carved up the home defence with a pass to Goodall whose shot was deflected on to the post and cleared. A minute later and it was Elysee who cracked a rising shot that again a very alert keeper managed to steer away from the net.

Half Time 0-1

A minute and a half gone and a biblical scene re enacted.

Sherborne's centre forward ran straight at the heart of our defence. It was as though Moses had reappeared. We parted like the Red Sea. Just inside the box he delivered a rocket of a shot. Willis, being an atheist hadn't read the story and made an excellent save.

We got ourselves together and the game turned slightly in our favour. Good attacks followed with Elysee Dyer and Goodall forcing last ditch defending and then Arnold hit a 25 yarder that had the keeper beaten but not the bar.

Beverley was still on his feet with most of the half gone so the substitution was Paul Reeves off and Matt Newbury on, wide right. Newbury's impact was instant as we broke on the flank and a cross ball found Goodall. The shot was a show stopper except for the keeper who pulled off a great catch under the bar.

Dyer, close marked for most of the time then broke free and a left foot dipping shot landed on the roof of the net.

We were getting close to a leveller. Lynch joined forces for a corner and his effort was cleared off the line. Yerby following in tried a long distance effort and the keeper yet again pulled off a good save.

Sherborne forced their way back into the game and it was our turn to watch Willis pull off a series of saves as the ball was pumped into the area.

Two minutes left and a break on the left resulted in a high cross. A shot from just inside the area was deflected past Willis 0-2. Cruel luck.

The last minute saw a couple of shots test the home keeper but the whistle blew ending our hopes of progressing further in the competition.

Final Result 0-2

© Verwood Town Football Club   All Rights Reserved. Terms & Privacy Policy. Website by Verwood Town Webmaster